Monday, September 12, 2011

The land of "Where you from?"- Santorini

I don't think I've ever been happier than I was this weekend. I took a trip to the beautiful island, Santorini. There are no words to describe the beauty that I cam across while there, but more of that once I share with you the interesting journey that got us to the island. In order to catch the morning ferry, Anna, Sakina and myself had to be walking to our bus stop by 5a.m. That was a tough accomplishment seeing that I stayed up later than planned getting my trip to France in order (which was successful and I am France bound to see Jess the last week in October!) Anyways, I didn't actually get to sleep until around 3 when my roomies came in from a night on the town. I was dying for more sleep, but totally stoked to begin my wonderful adventure to the wonderful island.

Once we finally got to the port- after an hour commute between 2 buses- we had to go to a kiosk in order to print our tickets. It was really happening! Boarding the ferry was chill and didn't require much but to hop on. I was looking for lines and whatnot, but it was hop on as you come! We arrived an hour early, but was totally worth it! The economy cabin filled up so quickly and and many people had to sit outside. We were lucky enough to snag a corner booth inside with a nice set up for the three of us.


port at 6a.m.
port before we actually left-7:30 a.m.

This is when we met our lovely Greek friends, Teti and Liana. They were on their way to Santorini as well after having grabbed a sweet deal online that gave them a trip to the island pretty much for free. As we began to get more comfortable talking to them, the real fun began. They told us that they were sisters, a bit about their marriages (and divorces), showed us pictures of their kids, and even taught me how to roll a cigarette! Smoking here is huge. They also helped us so much with things to do once we had gotten to the island since this was their 2nd and 3rd time being there. Not only did they give us suggestions and ask us questions, they gave us some great life lessons. For example, if your relationship with your partner isn't going well and looks like it won't be, leave. It will be better in the end. Amen. We also talked about the position of Greece internationally right now and Liana said there's nothing greater than being Greek. In addition to that, Teti gave us a lesson on the importance of life and how no matter what happens- even if you're fired from your job and without work for the past 9 months- the most important things in life are family and happiness. It was incredible to have these complete strangers open so much of who they are with us. Not only did we touch on serious topics, we joked about what celebrities we looked like: I looked like Pocohontas (spot on?), Anna looks like Elen Hunt and Sakina looks like Beyonce. I was cracking up. There was also a time where someone bumped Liana and when she got a little loud about it, Teti apologized to the woman who bumped Liana and explained, " She wasn't making fun of you", which Liana soon interrupted to say, "NO, I DID make fun of you, just in a nice way". Her bluntness and honesty was something I was very fond of. They were definitely people I am so happy to have met. While we were unable to get together while on the island, I know if there's anything we have questions about we can call/email them.

Teti showing me how she rolls her own cigarettes.
Paros Port.

Naroix Port.


 Finally after minimal sleep, playing bingo, chatting with the girls, and 8 hours of being on the ferry, we had arrived! I still couldn't believe that I was there. Everything I had seen in the movies was coming to life and I just couldn't grasp all of it. After waiting to be released, we made our way to find our hotel manager that would be picking us up from the port. George is one character that definitely made this trip so unique. After traveling up the high mountains to get to the hotel, we arrived at a cute, little hotel that was so beautiful and homely. George wasted no time to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed- he brought us iced coffee, gave us a map of the island and made suggestions for clubs and bars. When he found out we were there to celebrate Sakina's birthday, he brought us a nice bottle of wine to celebrate such a wonderful occasion. He was super generous the whole weekend and really made our experience that much better.
First sight off the ferry.

Stella Pension- hotel.

Porch view :)

Sakina showing off our lovely room.

 Soon after popping open the wine and sitting by the pool a bit, we decided that we needed to go to Oia (pronounced Eee- AH) We had heard from several people that the best sunset could be seen from this spot. Our bus ride to the tip of the island was very nerve racking seeing that the buses are really tour guide buses just strolling on the edges of the cliff. Whew. Who knew such big vehicles could maneuver the cliffs that way! Alas we reached our destination and went to explore the area and find a lovely spot for dinner. We decided it was a fancy night, so we got dolled up. We found a wonderful place called the Seagull Restaurant with a view of the beautiful ocean and all the white washed/ blue buildings. The food was amazing and the view unbelievable.

so crowded!

night out!

:D

island special- tomato balls. SO yummy!

view from dinner table.

 After dinner we went around the area snapping pics and taking in all the beauty around us. I still can't believe I witnessed the beauty that is Santorini. Here are a few of my favorite shots.

church.

sun beginning to set.

top of mountain.

had to ;D

layers of beauty.

boats <3

unbelievable sunset.

what every postcard I've seen captured- I was there!
After thoroughly enjoying the cobblestone town that is Oia, we hopped on a bus back to our hotel in order to get ready for a night on the town. We wanted to do some major dancing so we asked for a recommendation from George. Without hesitation he told us about The Highlander Scottish Bar in Fira- the town next to where we were staying. We were so excited to get out and see what the island had to offer for nightlife. We were not swayed in the wrong direction at all! The bar/club played awesome dancing music, drinks were reasonably priced and the people who worked there were super nice. On our way into the area, another bar promoter made us promise to come check out their bar after Highlander. This bar, 2 Brothers, was also very fun. Both of the bars we went to allowed us to dance on the bars and we definitely took advantage of the offer :D The men here function in a very interesting way. We soon discovered that each interaction had to begin with the question, "Where are you from?" After that they would follow with, "What is your name?" and " How old are you?" It was quite the experience to be constantly watched because they knew we were foreigners, but to have the intensified because we were Americans. I think it's so interesting how we as Americans fantasize about coming to places like Santorini and people from Santorini fantasize about coming to America. I love being able to compare the views of myself and of the locals I meet. It reminded me of my experience in India when everyone was looking to buy skin whitening products, and how Americans are always in search of the perfect tan. I love the learning I'm doing! I think we danced until 3 in the morning and couldn't have been more content.

View from the bar at 2 Brothers.
Saturday was a lot more about relaxing. After a nice breakfast at a local cafe, we headed to the beautiful black sand beach, Monolithico.  On our bus ride there, I met the most adorable boy named Marco. He was collecting bus fares as the bus moved (this was the way to ensure each person paid). When I asked him what his name was in Greek, he gave me the most puzzled/excited expression. I overheard him tell the driver about the encounter and he was teased for "wowing the woman". It was so adorable. When we reached the beach I was in awe. Wow, what an amazing experience. The weather was warm with a wonderful breeze and the water incredible. Having this been my 2nd experience, I was curious to see how it would mirror my Athens experience, or even if it would. It did. The people are confident and proud of their bodies. Every woman, regardless of their age, wears a 2 piece. Love it. We lounged on some chairs in the sun and under umbrellas for most of the afternoon snacking on fresh fruit from the market. It was everything I needed and more.

Marco!

Monolothico.

Repping North Haven fo' life!


Our last night on the island had to be a good one. We had been told by the women on the ferry AND George that we needed to experience the wine tasting of the island's own winery. Boy, were we in for quite the experience. Not only was the wine impeccable, we got to witness the most amazing sunset I had ever seen. Now that's a pretty large statement seeing that I live for North Haven sunsets. I had no words. I had only the intense feeling of being in the right place in my life, with the right people and having the biggest joy that my life had lead me here. I've been through a lot and I don't think I could have ever imagined that one day I would be privileged enough to experience the things that were happening to me in that very moment. I was overwhelmed with happiness. 

drive up to the Winery.

entrance to Santo Wines.

wine tasting, yummy :D

breathtaking.

fave picture.
We concluded the night with another trip to Fira to explore the nightlife. We were already known on the main strip as the beautiful girls who needed to come to all the bars. We decided to look into more bars other than the two from the night before, so we hit up Enigm- a local favorite, Town Club- had a cage, and another in which I didn't even learn the name because it was kind of boring. After making friends with all the bartenders and promoters, we called it a night and began our stroll back to the hotel. How lucky we had been to enjoy such an amazing place and with such hospital people. The next morning we woke up, shopped a bit and finally went to the port to begin our journey back to Athens. Our way back was much better than the one to get to the island- it may have had to do with the fact that we were in business class ;D

more space and couches!

I love my life <3





No comments:

Post a Comment